January 4, 2013

What I have learnt in my years of business (so far) - Happy 4th Birthday Real Estate Excellence

I am writing this blog at dawn on the morning that my business Real Estate Excellence celebrates its 4th year in operation.

Where have the last three years have gone! I have had a privileged career to date and for that I am most grateful.

Though it has never been easy I am the last to complain for nothing worthwhile is ever easy. I started in Real Estate in the early 90's with Bill Hamilton in Biloela who during those 2 years taught me a great deal and was a great mentor. Glen Treacy at Ray White Rockhampton then took me under his wing and taught me many valuable real estate and life lessons. He had great faith in me and provided me with much opportunity which must be said could not have been achieved without the support of a great team who are friends of mine today. I moved to Brisbane in 2002 when Ray White Corporate offered me a great opportunity to be a Property Management Associate with Ray White Queensland. My time there afforded me a great foundation for the work I do today. In 2004 Dan Molloy (former CEO of REIQ) recruited me to be an industry trainer. This role expanded and the greatest learning curve and experience of my career was my role as the REIQ best practice and policy manager.

It was a difficult decision to leave a corporate life and a great career however I have always been one to say 'what's next' and having been born on Melbourne Cup day when "THINK BIG" won, "think big" has long been my motto.

I feel that I have settled now and can see that I will spend the remaining many years of my career growing my business with continual improvement of services.

In the last 4 years of operating my own business, I have been reminded of the following;

* I work with the most amazing, dedicated and passionate people
* Agents and Property managers have the greatest sense of humour
* The industry does want to improve and strive for excellence
* The industry are kind, compassionate and caring people (almost to their detriment at times!)
* The industry is under paid

I have achieved all goals set out in my business plan that were written on Boxing Day 2009. New goals have now been set as I embark on the next stage of my business. I have learnt that all businesses need a business plan and goals, without this they are just dreams.

I have learnt to take one day at a time however to also look at the big picture. I have learnt that anything is possible and achievable if you want it bad enough. It just takes hard work, faith, sweat and some tears along the way which no doubt will continue in my years to come.

Thank you to those who are sharing my journey.

Happy Birthday to Real Estate Excellence! www.realestateexcellence.com.au

No comments:

Post a Comment